Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Ectopic Pregnacies



Hello Friends and Family, reporting from equatorial Papua New Guinea:

It has been a fairly quiet time here. I have been sick with the viral crud, but I am now on the mend. I hope none of you have been sick, and if you have, I hope you are feeling better.
Surgery and clinic have been running fairly smooth as of late. I had two ectopic pregnancy surgeries soon after we arrived, but nothing else until a few days ago. I have now had three ectopic cases in the past five days. The one today was exciting; the woman had 3.5 liters of blood in her abdomen. She looks good, so that may be enough. Her hemoglobin is now 8 grams.
She reported feeling bad for the past six days and came in today after fainting. So far, I have given her 4 units of blood.


There was another exciting case two weeks ago. The patient had the usual fulminate case of PID with secondary bowel obstruction to complicate. She tolerated surgery, but arrested in recovery. Following resuscitation, her pulse ox was stuck in the 40-50% range – even on 100% O2. She was on dopamine and received large doses of diuretic. We felt she had shock-lung and without a ventilator I did not give her much hope. When I arrived the following morning, she was still with us, had revived from her coma and was looking around. Her pulse ox was now in the mid to upper 80s. She recovered rapidly and went home 7-8 days later. They say miracles happen every day, and I must say that is the only explanation for her recovery. God was surely watching over her.
OB has also been fairly quiet. I did have a problem with a nurse giving a mistaken dose of vaginal cytotec to a premature labor patient. Thankfully, she only gave 25 micrograms and the premature labor medication quieted her down without incident. We also discovered her to be a newly diagnosed case of HIV. I have been seeing two new cases each week with retro-viral problems. It is very sad to contemplate the prospects for unwitting victims.
Hope you are doing well and enjoying spring. My second batch of sauerkraut is nearly done. The first batch was very tasty.
Bye All,
Dr. P & Tyronza

No comments:

Post a Comment