Friday, February 16, 2018

Kudjip Arrival February 2018

Dear Friends,

Yes, Tyronza and I are back in the South Pacific, here in Papua New Guinea. I have heard you are having more cold weather and ice. Things here are still perpetual Spring (60^ at night/ 80^ at 2 in the afternoon and rain most evenings). I love the nights, they are the best, very dark and cool with the pitter-patter of the rain on my metal roof - very soothing. Sorry you are stuck in the winter cold! Brrrr!!

The trip over was uneventful, but long. Our route was as follows: St. Louis to Dallas to Sydney, Australia to Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea to Mt. Hagen to Kudjip Station. The flight from Dallas to Sydney took 17 hours. We were in coach, but with extended leg room. It was still really hard on my backside!

I have settled in at the hospital and have lightened my load to only Obstetrics. I do some gynecological consultation, but no gynecologic surgery. This gives me time to stay in the Obstetrics ward and help with the training of OB nurses and the nurse midwives. A much easier load for me than in the past, guess it is an aging thing, but I found it hard to keep up with the busy schedule!

Tyronza is all moved in and unpacked. We are staying in the Barnabas House again. It is a large building for housing work groups. It is a big space and we are the only ones staying it in. It allows for good sized groups to come for supper. We have made new friends and caught up on the lives of the old ones. In a place like Papua New Guinea, you don’t just sit down to your favorite TV program and the nightly news. You have to create your own entertainment. Cards, dice games, board games and shared meals seem to be the thing to do. We also bring many new DVD’s with us to watch and pass around. It is rather like stepping back to the 1960’s. A day without the television, telephone or computer is not too bad!

Tyronza fills her days with whatever task she is assigned. She has made a trip into Mt. Hagen for banking and groceries and has been working at the mission field office. She has also been busy with cooking, cleaning, etc...

Thanks to each of you reading this blog. Please pray for us as we help in missions. I will try to be better this trip about posting more medical stories. Take care. Mi bi lukem
yu behain. (See you later.)

Scot & Tyronza

No comments:

Post a Comment